Special Report - Raisin Toxicity in Dogs


Image : http://www.flickr.com


We all know that chocolate can be toxic to dogs...but what about raisins? Many dog owners don't suspect raisins and grapes as being harmful, but they can cause havoc on your dog's kidneys which can be fatal. Read on to learn how to protect your dog.

When my German Shepard and Miniature Schnauzer indulged in a bag of trail mix, my first reaction was to call the vet. Initially, I was worried about the chocolate, but I soon found out the raisins my dog consumed may be lethal.

Because of her size, my German Shepard was alright...but we faced losing my Miniature Schnauzer. After two days in the dog hospital and a huge vet bill, I'm happy to report our little raisin eater is very healthy. But I want all dog owners to know about the risks of feeding your dogs common foods from your panty...like raisins and grapes.

What are the signs of raisin toxicity?

• Vomiting within the first two hours of consumption

• Diarrhea

• Lethargy

• Acute renal failure can occur within 24 hours - 7 days

What should I do if my dog eats raisins or grapes (or anything I'm not sure about)?

Do you know the phone number to your local dog emergency hospital? If you don't, look up the number and program it into your phone. It should be the equivalent of 911 to your dog. If your vet is open, call them immediately. If it's after hours, call the vet hospital.

What is the treatment for raisin toxicity?

Your vet should induce vomiting immediately. The sooner this is done, the better the outlook (within the first two hours). Your vet may administer one or more treatments of charcoal. Fluids may be administered for 48 hours or more and blood work is monitored. Your vet may consult the ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Center) for treatment recommendations (888-426-4425).

The best way to protect your dog from raisin toxicity and other similar issues is to keep human food out of reach. Although it may be tempting to feed your dog a little bite (especially when he looks so cute), it could have serious consequences.




For more information, visit http://www.dog-health-info.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

my dog Template Design By: SkinCorner