How can my kitty and dog get along?

I recently got a male 3 weeks old kitty and I have a 9 years old male terrier/corgi. I introduced the kitty to the dog and at first, the dog was really friendly towards the kitty but apparently the kitty started showing his teeth and making all these angry noise. So my dog was about to bite the kitty and make these whiny noise. How can I make them get along? If my dog was to bite the kitty, it will totally be fetal since his mouth is the size of the kitty head. Please let me know since I really want them to get along. Thanks


Vil -

Where did you acquire a 3 week old kitten? Kittens shouldn't be taken away from their mothers any earlier than 6 weeks - but I prefer waiting until a kitten is 10 weeks before I even consider taking one home with me.

In my personal experience none of my dogs have ever had a problem with cats at all. They were all familiar with cats from the time they were pups. It sounds like your dog didn't get the cat socialization when he was younger which would have been very helpful at this time - but that doesn't mean he won't grow to enjoy this kitten. They will each have to learn about each other and understand each other in their own way. You cannot bring a kitten into a home with an older dog which has no understanding or socialization with cats. It may never work between the two. You just have to see if it will. If the dog gets too aggressive with the kitten then the dog should be taken to another safe room to calm down. No scolding, no yelling, no hitting or spanking. Just take your dog to another room and talk softly to him saying " that's a kitten and he doesn't have kitty manners yet"...

Time will tell if they will get along. I hope so. It will take a little time for each of them to get to know and understand each other.

Good luck! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

my dog Template Design By: SkinCorner