How do I get my 14 year old dog to get along with my 12 week old puppy?

I have a 14 year old male mutt (I think part lab) who snaps and growls when my 12 week old puppy gets anywhere near him. The puppy is a pit bull/american bulldog female. The puppy wants to be around him but he wants nothing of it. I just got the puppy 3 weeks ago. How can I get them to co-exist peacefully? And how long might this take? All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks


AS long as old dog doesn't hurt the puppy think of grumpy Grandparents. Your old dog is actually teaching your puppy boundaries. Do not scold old dog as this would cause more anxiety for old dog. Let the 2 of them work it out on their own. They should be fine in time. Vet Tech

I have an 11 year old Lab who gets so annoyed at the younger dogs in my house he goes into one of their kennels to get away from them.

A 14 year old dog is usually past the 'playing with the puppy' stage.

You need to take over and give that pup lots of toys, exercise and obedience training.

Don't expect your older dog to 'accept' this little hyper biting and playing machine until he is out of puppyhood.

You have to be careful in these situations dont take your eye off them for a minute. But you can try this put your 14 year old dog into a fenced area where he cant reach the puppy but hold the puppy close to the fence. Repeat this exercise over and over until your dog starts to feel comfortable near your puppy. If he never gets used to your puppy then you should try to find a diffrent approach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

my dog Template Design By: SkinCorner