How can I get my dog to stop barking and howling when I leave for work?

My husband and I have recently moved from our house into an apartment with our 5 year old chow mix dog and my sister.She has told us that he has been barking and howling a lot. I know He has a difficult time when he is left alone but we have to do something or risk being evicted.We have no intentions of considering an animal shelter.


Try leaving the radio or television on, maybe get him used to it by having it on first while you're both in the house as well.. and place it somewhere not too far where he spends a lot of time, or where he can hear it from anywhere in the house.

I know of a few people who use the radio and it's definitely worked for them to calm their pets. I think the sounds, and voices that come from it can make anyone feel like their not alone, even dogs; Or maybe it simply helps to break the silence so makes him less nervous?.

On top of this giving him something to chew will help, mayyybe even hiding treats around the house for him to find while you're gone? Obviously if this does work then you'll want to vary the places you hide things.

Oh yes, separation anxiety. Lots of dogs have it, mine included. We used to put her in a kennel when we left the apartment and she would howl and threaten to get us evicted. It was easier when we lived in a house and we could leave her in the backyard safe to play and walk around (not to mention she's unable to destroy what's inside the house). There are several things you could do, none of which are easy.

Shock collar.

There are also collars that emit a siren, beyond what humans can hear, when the dog barks and that is supposed to make them stop. personally those never worked for our dog.

There are muzzles, but my dog always got out of it even when I tied it tight (I didn't hurt her, I would put it on, pretend to leave, and sit on the stairway and listen to see what she did.)

You could also see your vet. I told mine one day when she was gettin gher annual shots and she gave me a prescription to give her every day. I'm not sure if it worked, but our dog mostly stopped barking once we stopped kenneling her. Try some exercises. Like pretend you're leaving, wait outside and see how the dog reacts.

I also sometimes leave the radio or television on (usually Animal Planet lol). The absence of noise probably triggers the loneliness when you leave.

Throw him a big bone each time u're leaving

try leaving the radio or tv on, i would suggest the radio because leaving the tv on wastes more electricity =]. i really really shouldnt recomend this but if it's like really bad you probably should get a shock colar for him =/

You could have him put to sleep. This is a very effective way to address the problem. 100% effective.

hi,

An instinctive canine behavior, a bark now and then reminds you that your dog is still very much a dog. However, constant barking can be disruptive, if not downright nerve-racking. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent or curb problem barking.

here's how:

http://dogtime.com/barking.html

hope this helps.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

my dog Template Design By: SkinCorner